What is Xultophy 100/3.6?
It comes in a liquid solution prefilled pen which holds 3 ml of solution that contains:
- 100 units of Insulin degludec. This is a long-acting insulin that is similar to the insulin naturally produced by the pancreas in our body.
- 3.6 mg of liraglutide, also known as a glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists which works to lower blood glucose levels.
Xultrophy is approved to lower blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes who aren’t able to manage their blood sugar levels using other diabetes drugs. Diet and exercise should are typically recommended in combination as part of insulin treatment.
Testing hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) if often used to measure a persons response to their insulin treatment. This measurement provides information on the average blood glucose levels over a period of 3 months.
- 1.67% to 1.94% with Xultophy 100/3.6, compared to 1.05% to 1.16% with long-acting insulins
- 1.31% with Xultophy 100/3.6, compared to 0.36% with liraglutide
- 1.81% with Xultophy 100/3.6, compared to 1.35% with insulin degludec and 1.21% with liraglutide
- 1.42% with Xultophy 100/3.6, compared to 0.62% with placebo
- 1.97% with Xultophy 100/3.6, compared to 1.59% with insulin glargine
How to use Xultophy 100/3.6?
If you are not sure how to administer the prefilled injection pen, consult your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
It must not be injected into a vein or try use with an infusion pump.
Your doctor may ask you to monitor your blood sugar levels and adjust your insulin dose until your fasting glucose levels are appropriate for you. Factors such as your blood glucose values and lifestyle will determine the recommended dosage.
Do not use this medication if it appears cloudy or discolored or looks clumpy. It should not be mix with other insulins or solutions. Shaking this medication before use is unnecessary.
The recommended starting dose of Xultophy 100/3.6 depends on whether an individual has previously used basal (long-acting) insulin or a GLP-1 inhibitor.
The maximum require dose of Xultophy 100/3.6 is 50 units of insulin degludec/1.8 mg of liraglutide inject once daily.
Several factors can affect the dosage such as an individuals body weight, existing medical conditions and other medications. Follow your doctors dosage exactly as prescribed regardless of information received from external sources such as the internet. Do not adjust your treatment without consulting your doctor first.
If you miss a dose, skip the miss dose and continue with your usual dosing routine. Speak to your doctor if you miss 3 consecutive doses and how to resume your dosing schedule. Never take a double dose to make up for a missed dose. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose.
Xultophy 100/3.6 SIDE EFFECTS
As with any medication, side effects can occur. The information below covers some of the common and serious side effects that patients may experience while taking Xultophy 100/3.6. The information below does not cover all possible side effects Consult with your doctor or pharmacist about the risks and potential side effects. They can provide tips on how to avoid and better manage side effects that can be bothersome.
Common Side Effects
Common Side Effects with Xultophy 100/3.6 can include:
- hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- infections such as a cold